Building a sustainable healthcare strategy together
The green Operating Room
It is estimated that the world’s healthcare systems account for approximately 5% of global CO2 emissions1, more than aviation or shipping.
Building a sustainable healthcare strategy from both sides Healthcare systems and Industries can be done… it starts with little simple steps… for example Maximising efficient use of assets and Minimizing waste.
Our concrete actions for sustainability
Maximising efficient use of anaesthesia assets
By utilizing to full capacity GE healthcare anaesthesia equipment options that do support low flow technique we could achieve.
Optimise efficient use with monitoring and digital solutions
By leveraging GE Healthcare monitoring solutions that support drug optimization and convert complex data into actionable insights to enable environmentally friendly practices, we could achieve.
GE Healthcare has implemented processes to extend the lifecycle of selected products and avoid related parts entering the waste stream.
Assets are refurbished at GE dedicated Repair Operations Center, for the highest levels of oversight.
Together, we want to achieve a Healthcare System that protects everyone and our planet. We believe this is possible!
- Health care’s response to climate change: a carbon footprint assessment of the NHS in England, Imogen Tennison, MEng • Sonia Roschnik, MSc • Ben Ashby, MEng • Richard Boyd, MEng • Ian Hamilton, PhD • Prof Tadj Oreszczyn, PhD • et al., The Lancet, February, 2021, www.thelancet.com/journals/lanplh/article/PIIS2542-5196(20)30271-0/fulltext
- Building a World That Works for Tomorrow, GE Healthcare, https://www.ge.com/sustainability
- Ryan MS, Nielsen CJ. Global warming potential of inhaled anesthetics: application to clinical use. Anesth Analg. 2010; 111:92-98
- S. Singaravelu, P. Barclay. Automated control of end-tidal inhalation anaesthetic concentration using the GE Aisys Carestation. Brit J Anaesth. 2013 apr;110(4):561–566.
- Avance CS² Anaesthesia Delivery System, GE Healthcare, EcoFLOW Simulator, https://www.gehealthcare.com/products/anesthesia-delivery/avance-cs2
- M. Shivangi et al., Effect of entropy-guided low-flow desflurane anaesthesia on laryngeal mask airway removal time in children undergoing elective ophthalmic surgery — A prospective, randomised, comparative study. Indian J Anaesth. Jun 2019; 63(6): 485-490.
- Hospital leverages Carestation Insights to reduce average fresh gas flow rates, GE Healthcare, 2017, www.gehealthcare.co.uk/-/jssmedia/gehc/us/files/products/anesthesia-delivery/carestation-insights_white-paper__agent-savings_jb56479us.pdf?rev=-1&hash=E1D19EEA8EBEDD7FFAC956E0ABEC8AB2
- Jones A, Dobson A, Implications of using AMSORB® Plus in clinical practice: Cost, Patient Safety and Environmental Impact. Presented at the Royal Collage of Anaesthetists Winter Scientific Meeting. 4 Mannion S, Ahmed O. The cost implications of replacing soda lime with Amsorb® in clinical practice. European Journal of Anaesthesiology. June 2011; 28:P12-13.
- The computer chip industry has a dirty climate secret, Padraig Belton, The Guardian, 18 september 2021,