Prepared to protect
Interventional procedures are becoming more complex and involve increasingly older patients with a greater prevalence of co-morbidities.
With the same osmolality as blood, Visipaque induces less fluid shift from both red blood cells and endothelial cells than the low-osmolar contrast agents.1-4
Visipaque can help reduce kidney injury in high-risk patients1-6
- Intra-arterial use of isosmolar Visipaque reduced the risk of contrast-induced acute kidney injury (CI-AKI) compared with LOCM in the interventional cardiology setting by 54% (RR=0.46; CI: 0.27-0.79; p=0.004)5
- Visipaque improved outcomes in a further meta-analysis where its use reduced the risk of CI-AKI* compared with LOCM in the interventional cardiology setting by 32% (RR=0.68, 95% CI, 0.50-0.92)6
- Visipaque has demonstrated renal benefits in a real-world setting7
Major adverse cardiac events (MACE) are also reduced with Visipaque8-10
- Several large prospective clinical trials have shown that isosmolar Visipaque is associated with significantly fewer MACE (such as cardiac death, stroke and coronary artery bypass graft) than low-osmolar contrast media (LOCM)8-10
- This finding has been confirmed by recent data from a real-world setting involving over 330,000 patients7
Furthermore, Visipaque can help reduce patient discomfort
- Patient comfort may be of both clinical and practical importance. Sensation of heat or pain has the potential to lead to a series of events such as patient movement, poor image quality and repeat examinations leading to increased radiation and costs11,12
- In a number of clinical studies spanning a range of procedures, isosmolar Visipaque has been shown to significantly reduce discomfort, heat and/or pain, compared to various ‘low’ osmolar CM11-17
*CI-AKI defined as SCr increase of ≥0.5 mg/dl from baseline measured up to 3 days after CM exposure.
1. Franke RP et al. Microvasc Res 2008; 76(2): 110-13.
2. Franke RP et al. Clin Hemorheol Microcirc 2011; 48 (1): 41-56.
3. Widmark JM. Proc (Bayl Univ Med Cent) 2007; 20(4): 408-17.
4. Barstad RM et al. Acta Radiol 1996; 37(6): 954-61.
5. McCullough P. Cardiorenal Med 2011; 1(4): 220-34.
6. Dong M et al. J Nephrol 2012; 25(3): 290-301.
7. McCullough PA et al. J Comp Eff Res 2018; 7(4): 331-41.
8. Harrison J et al. Am Heart J 2004; 147: 612-4.
9. Davidson C et al. Circulation 2000; 101: 2172-7.
10. Nie B et al. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv 2008; 72: 958-65.
11. Verow P et al. Brit J Radiol 1995; 68: 973-8.
12. Manke C et al. Acta Radiologica 2003; 44: 590-6.
13. Tveit K et al. Acta Radiologica 1994; 35: 614-8.
14. Justesen P et al. Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol 1997; 20: 251-6.
15. Skehan SJ et al. Brit J Radiol 1998; 71: 910-17.
16. Maclennan-AC, Machan-LS. Cardiovasc Invervent Radiol 1997; 20 (Suppl. 1): Abs 167, 89.
17. Rosenberg C et al. J Invasive Cardiol 2017;29(1):9-15.
CT in oncology
The more you have to think about the diagnosis of your cancer patient, the less you want to worry about your contrast agent.
In cancer patients, Visipaque can help you achieve your desired outcomes1-6 by:
- delivering diagnostic accuracy through enabling valuable contract-enhanced computed tomography (CT) in patients with renal impairment2
- addressing renal complications considering vulnerable patients with multiple risk factors2,3,4
- minimising contrast-associated pain protecting patient comfort and care5.6
Acute kidney injury is a significant burden in cancer2
- While the etiology is often multifactorial, intravenous (IV) contrast media use is strongly associated with higher odds for acute kidney injury (AKI)2
- Recent chemotherapy increases the risk of contrast-induced acute kidney injury (CI-AKI)8
Avoiding kidney injury can reduce both patient suffering and cost8.9
- Contrast Media (CM) dose and osmolality are considered modifiable risk factors for CI-AKI8.10
- Isosmolar Visipaque has been developed to provide care for kidneys3,4
The rate of CI-AKI in “high-risk” patients undergoing CT with iopromide was over 3 times that of Visipaque11
- Diabetes was more prevalent in the Visipaque group (37.7% vs. 17.9%) (p=0.017)
- The rate of CI-AKI with Visipaque in renally impaired cancer patients may not preclude them from having contrast -enhanced CT1
Managing pain with contrast media may be more relevant in cancer patients
- Isosmolar Visipaque has been developed to minimise contrast-associated pain and heat sensation6,7 which may be severe in cancer patients6
1. Cheruvu B et al. J Comput Assist Tomogr 2007; 31: 493-8.
2. Salahudeen AL et al. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 2013; 8: 347-54.
3. Jakobsen JA. Eur J Radiol 2007; 62 (Suppl.): S14-25.
4. Davidson C et al. Am J Cardiol 2006; 98 (Suppl.): 42k-58k.
5. Haussler MD. Acta Radiol 2010; 51: 924-33.
6. Weiland FL et al. Acta Radiol 2014; 55: 715-24.
7. Cicin I et al. Eur Radiol 2014; 24: 184-90.
8. Nyman U et al. Acta Radiol 2008; 49(6): 658-67.
9. De Francesco M et al. J Med Econ 2015 DOI: 10.3111/13696998.2015.1105809
10. Cho JY et al. J Cardiology 2010; 56(3): 300-6.
11. Nguyen SA et al. Radiology 2008; 248: 97-105.
Putting diagnostic accuracy and patient care at the heart of Coronary Computed Tomography Angiography.
With rapid advancements in technology, cCTA is fast emerging as a highly effective imaging technique.2 It is an accurate, cost-effective and patient friendly tool for diagnosing Coronary Artery Disease (CAD) in low-intermediate risk patients.1
Visipaque is designed for patient comfort2
- The excellent comfort profile of Visipaque has been confirmed in over 9,500 patients undergoing range of CT examinations in the outpatient setting3
- The rate of severe discomfort in patients undergoing CT with iopamidol was over 6 times that of Visipaque4
Visipaque can help improve stent evaluability5
- Visipaque 320 provided better image quality, allowing significantly higher evaluability of coronary stents than iomeprol 400 when injected at the same flow rate5
- This was the result of a reduction of the beam hardening effect, which often leads to artefacts that may preclude accurate assessment of the coronary stent lumen5
Maintaining image quality with appropriate iodine loads
- In multiple studies, Visipaque 320 has demonstrated similar or better diagnostic images than high-concentration contrast media (CM) which are hyperosmolar to blood, despite less iodine load5-10
Visipaque can help to minimise heat sensation and impact on heart rate5,6,11-13
- Cardiac tolerability was better with Visipaque than iomeprol injected at the same flow rate5
- Visipaque was associated with significantly less heat sensation than iomeprol5
1. Hassan A et al. Eur J Radiol 2011; 79(2): 161-71.
2. Almen T. Acta Radiol 1995; 36(Suppl.399): 2-18.
3. Haussler MD. Acta Radiol 2010; 51: 924-33.
4. Weiland FL et al. Acta Radiol 2014; 55: 715-24.
5. Andreini D et al. Cardiovasc Comput Tomogr 2014; B(1): 44-51.
6. Svensson A et al. Acta Radiologica 2010; 51(7): 722-6.
7. Becker CR et al. Invest Radiol 2011; 46(7): 457-64.
8. Ozbulbul N et al. Coronary Artery Dis 2010; 21(7): 414-9.
9. Maffei C et al. World J Radiol 2012; 4(6): 265-72.
10. Faggioni Let al. Am J Roentgenol 2012; 199(6): 1220-5.
11. Roche T et al. Arch Cardiovasc Imaging 2014; 2(3): e20708.
12. Loewe C et al. Insights Imaging 2014; 5 (Suppl.1): S304
13. Loewe C et al. Insights Imaging 2015; 6 (Suppl.1): S159.
The packaging for workplace safety and efficiency*
Omnipaque’s unique +PLUSPAK™ packaging enhances user handling and workplace safety.
+PLUSPAK™ has no sharp alloy ring pull
- Easy-open polypropylene ring pull avoids cuts from sharp metal edges1
- Packaging removes risk of injuries from glass breakages1
+PLUSPAK™ has efficient labelling
- Important information is repeated upside down for dual-direction reading
- Colour-coded for concentration for easy recognition
+PLUSPAK™ reduces costs and environmental impact
- Less storage space, lower disposal costs, reduced environmental impact1,2
*Concentrations, volumes and packaging vary from country to country
1. Gricar J et al. Radiol Manage 2007; SEP/OCT: 34–42.
2. Marshall G. Radiography 2008; 14: 128-34.